Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ripples Metaphor

I like to work through metaphors.  I included a portion of my master's thesis about metaphors and the roles they play in the evolution of public policy - and discussions of social phenomenon metaphors allow us to talk about complex, unwieldy things and occurrences .  Now I'm much more interested in how we use them in day to day language and specifically songs.

When we think about incremental change we use the metaphor of tossing a pebble into a pond an watching the ripples expanding in all directions at once, the ripple affect about how change occurs.  I wonder how this metaphor "carries water" when we think about life as a rush river rather than a placid pond and we throw the same stone into the crashing rapids of our overstimulated lives, what change then?  Is there a butterfly effect of change that cannot be perceived  but is every bit as "real" as the ripples in the pond or is the pebble just washed away meaninglessly?

2 comments:

  1. My comment was that the pebble thrown into a rushing river will be tossed and turned and bruised and beaten until it finally finds calm water and drops to the bottom and is still. No ripple effect - kind of the opposite everything converging on the stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pebbles thrown into a river
    carried off to sea
    tumbled and eroded
    grains of sand on the beach

    ReplyDelete