Ruthie and I spotted pink flowers along the highway until we reached the Parkway and then it was all yellow. The scotch broom is covering just about anything.
How hard it is to look at a plant that obviously thrives but to think of it as invasive, unwelcome, something to be eradicated? Why can't we just accept that if we cut down all the trees and expose the forest floor to full sun (ever fuller and warmer!) that we get different plants? I realized this morning that I have to think differently about the scotch broom. It's here because we invited it in and give it the conditions the thrive, why blame the plant for that? Besides it's totally hopeless to try to get rid of it! If people accepted that we change the natural landscape as a course of civilization maybe we wouldn't feel like it was so bloody wrong all the time. I'm tired of being against scotch broom!
No comments:
Post a Comment