Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I would love to have something substantial to say about post-punk goth rock.  Joy Division and Bauhaus defined the genre and then 15 years later it returns and it's actually better.  How did I miss Interpol in 2003 and where did the Editors come from, this music is heavy and dark and so close to home.  In the darkened glow I have to take off my glasses.  An Ampeg bass and a clean guitar chiming compressed melody, a heavy voice, a lot of reverb.  I'm not seeing a lot of vid of IP playing live very well, Editors pull off the live scene well.  How do I get to this place?  how do we bring age in to the edge of writing music that makes people move and think.  when I listen to Interpol my leg bonces like I'm playing a kick drum and I hear all the accents.  Maybe it's because this music is driven by the rhythm and the melody is superfluous, but it really isn't because that is where the humanity falls to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment