Up early so came in to work about an hour early. Very quiet on campus felt like the library was empty.
Work-related thoughts running through my head at too fast a pace. Getting on campus allowed me to start rolling on a couple issues. I'm suddenly in the midst of a political issue with my division and IT. Technology at evergreen is a house full of closed and locked doors.
Cleaning out my desk. I realized how much of the "stuff" around me is oriented towards the use of paper. As a worker I use paper less and less. Never print anything unless I"m asked and use my laptop in meetings. All these accessories are oriented toward work being based on paper: pens (tons of them) and pencils, staples and staple removers, binder clips and rubber bands, tape, and little boxes for calling cards. Much of the poundage of my office supply is made up of devices for the paper based workplace and go largely un-used.
I wonder if it's a model for a car-less society. Right now we are so surroundedby the accessories of a car based lifestyle: freeways, gas stations, pollution, tire stores, shopping malls it's hard to imagine a world without cars, but 50 years ago an office without paper was unimaginable too. This is a fairly optimistic perspective!
No comments:
Post a Comment